Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Five Great Gift Ideas for The Holidays 2009

Ok so in the past I've gone all out on Christmas, buying all those close to me the latest and greatest _______ (insert whatever here) with a coupon or discount of course. However, in recent years I've noticed that this tendency of mine to blow through the bank during the holidays has very much tamed itself, which is a good thing. And while it's wonderful to be able to give the ones you love a super neato _______ (insert whatever here), I've come to realize those things often end up losing their value quicker than you can say "Happy New Years!"

About four years ago I came to the realization that when someone asks me what I want for Christmas, I am truly at a loss. As far as material goods, my cup runneth over with more than I could wish for. I have a roof over my head, a closetful to clothe my body, shoes for my feet, food on the table and a my good ol' reliable 99 Civic that still gets me wherever I need to go. And yep, I do feel blessed to have all those things.

So this Christmas the hubby and I are really going easy on the gift-giving, especially because we're saving to buy a house in the Spring. This decision requires us to be a bit creative with our holiday cheer :)

While we realize that handing out gifts ultimately requires some sort of expense, sometimes I think the best gifts are ones that come with an "experience." Yanno, something that you will indeed remember 15 to 20 years from now. As I've grown older, homemade gifts have also become a fav ~ especially sweets, hence my extra 7-pound winter coat of fat. HA!

But enough of that, here are some crafty and creative ideas that I think are great gift options this  holiday season:

Here's a little diddy of me to get you in the holiday mood -- the obligatory "who the hell is this old crazy lookin white-haired man, get me offa here NOW" Santa picture :)




1) Personalized Calendars.

I'm sure as kids you adored your puppy calendar or swooned over that New Kids on the Block calendar like I did. But these days, there is nothing more meaningful than a customized calendar filled with pictures of your gift recipient. I started doing this about 5 years ago and my friends and family loved them so much, they grew to expect them. For the past two years I didn't get the chance to make em because I was overwhelmed with work and just didn't have enough time, and believe me I had some disappointed family members for sure. But this year ... I'm bringin sexy back. YEAH!

In the past I've used Office Max and Shutterfly, but Costco online offers some GREAT options for calendars. I've loved the quality of the calendars and they get delivered to your home in just a few days. Personalized calendars are PERFECT gifts for friends and family, especially grandparents who always adore seeing pics of their grandkids. These calendars can range anywhere from $10 to $25 ~ Costco's standard calendars are $10 plus shipping. If you don't have the pictures to create a calendar, think of giving them a gift certificate specifically for this. It's a great keepsake full of happy memories to last them through the new year!


2) ITune giftcards.

Who doesn't LOVE music? With everyone and their momma havin some sort of MP3 player these days, ITune giftcards are the way to go. Sam's Club and Costco currently have multipacks on sale that are priced lower than their value. Music is timeless and with these giftcards, your family and friends will be rockin out far beyond the holiday season and the one after that :)


3) Make dinner for your family or friends or host a dinner party.

Who doesn't love food? Food isn't just fuel for the body, it also feeds the soul and allows for time to sit and talk to your guests -- it's time to bond. There is something wonderfully fulfilling about seeing people chow down on something you've made and sit around a table laughing and sharing stories. These are memories etched with fondness, friendship, laughter and joy that you will remember years and years from now.

Now if you can't cook a meal to save your life, consider doing an appetizer/dessert party. Appetizers are much more simpler to make and the same goes for desserts. Trust me, an assortment of appetizers, along with something tasty to drink and a selection of yummy desserts go a long way! Oooh and if you want a good appetizer idea -- order from Family Favorites catering!!!! My homemade lumpia was born to rock your parties out :)


4) www.restaurant.com certificates

I don't know how this company manages to stay afloat but they are practically giving away restaurant certificates right now! There are roughly 13,000 restaurants nationwide that have teamed up with this company, selling certificates for:

$10 for $25 certificate
$20 for $50 certificate
$30 for $75 certificate
$40 for $100 certificate

Now mind you these are not franchise restaurants, most are smaller eateries, but many great ones that I have tried. I also happen to think it's fun trying out restaurants that aren't mainstream, so it opens the door for a little adventure. One thing you gotta note is that there are minimums that you must spend to use the coupon -- most of the one's I've seen are "spend at least $35 to use the $25 off." That's still only a $10 meal, which is fantabulous!!!! Also a big bonus is that these certificates don't expire and can be emailed if you want to send it someone you won't be seeing soon.

There are even packages where you can send someone 3/6/9/12 months worth of certificates ($25 a month) so they can look forward to a new experience each month!

Now while the above mentioned deals might sound good -- I've got another doozie for you. I have a ridiculously GOOD coupon to go with it!!!!

Yep 70% off if you use the code SNOW at check out. The code SHARE was their previous deal for 80% off and I think it's expired, but check it out it just may work. 

Imagine buying a $25 certificate for as low as $2 or $3 -- tell me that isn't freakin ridiculous??? 


5) www.smartbox.com gift certificates.

Another great gift idea I actually just discovered earlier today at Sam's Club. Ooooh weee I love me some Sam's Club!!!

These certificates allow people to choose their own "experience." There are themed boxes that offer different options such as:
- Fun for All: pottery class, aquarium visit, kayaking, dance class, etc.
- Adventure: surfing, white water rafting, hiking, yoga, indoor climbing, etc.
- Charming Getaways: 1-night lodging options throughout your area
- Adrenaline: bungee jumping, snowmobiling, segway riding, bobsledding, paragliding, skydiving, etc.
- Gourmet Retreats: wine tasting with an overnight stay, spa visits with an overnight stay, etc.

Each box is good for 1 or 2 people, depending on the activity you choose, and gives your gift recipient the freedom to choose their adventure. I would absolutely LOVE to get something like this and I think it's an awesome concept ~ certainly a great alternative to the regular ol' store giftcard.

The boxes run for as low as $49 up to $350 for the super fancy, all out experience.

Anyhoo, those are just a few ideas that I think are great alternatives to the usual sweater or scarf we all seem to get every year. But remember, it really should be about the thought that counts. So don't break the bank, and instead, be thoughtful and creative and make it something you think will last a lifetime ... ahem, a calendar of Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner without shirts on and that plaid patterned purse you really want will be a worthless piece of crap in about 2 years :) I promise!!

Oh and PS in case you didn't realize it based on my "7-pound coat of winter fat" comment, a basketful of homemade goods -- cookies, holiday sweets, cake, cupcakes, etc. is also rockstar solid for a gift. I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't LOVE a basket of homemade sweetness and if you do happen to know someone who wasn't overly enthused by your basket of goodies, you have my permission and blessing to smack em upside the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment